Natural News - February 23, 2019 by: Ellaine Castillo
Add some spice to your emergency medical kit with cayenne peppers. This small but highly nutritious superfood packs a punch against various health problems. Some examples of its health benefits include the following:
- Stopping a stuffy nose — Cayenne peppers are effective against nasal congestion due to the common colds, flu, and allergies. It contains capsaicin which breaks up and expels mucus from your sinuses. To enjoy this benefit, just add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to hot water and drink up. Do this three times a day to dilate blood vessels in your nose and drain your sinuses.
- Suppressing fungal growth — The CAY-1 compounds in cayenne peppers have potent antifungal effects against 16 different strains of fungi. Moreover, it was shown to induce this effect without harming animal cells.
- Relieving migraines — Capsaicin in cayenne reduces the amount of substance P, a chemical involved in the delivery of pain signals to the brain. This helps relieve migraine pain. In addition to this, capsaicin reduces platelet aggregation factor (PAF), which causes migraines by interfering with blood circulation in the head.
- Promoting healthy digestion — Cayenne works as a natural digestive aid. It stimulates the production of digestive enzymes and gastric juices. As a result, the body finds it easier to metabolize food in your system. This superfood also helps with gas and bloating by stimulating the movement of the intestines. Moreover, the capsaicin in cayenne has been shown to protect against stomach ulcers.
- Preventing dry mouth — Saliva is important for proper digestion and maintaining oral health. Unfortunately, some people don’t produce enough of it, which makes them have a dry mouth. By eating cayenne pepper, you can enhance the production of saliva.
- Preventing blood clot formation — People with atherosclerosis have a high risk of forming blood clots. These can interfere with normal blood flow and increase the chances of having a heart attack or stroke. Cayenne pepper works by enhancing fibrinolytic activity, which prevents blood clots from forming.
- Aiding in detoxification — Cayenne pepper is commonly used with lemons to detoxify the body. This superfood helps by heating up the body and enhancing the body’s natural detoxification process. It also makes you perspire more. This allows toxins to be eliminated from your body through sweat. (Related: Detoxing Cleanse Water With Lemon and Cayenne Pepper – Why You Should Drink It Every Day.)
- Alleviating joint pain — The pain-relieving property of capsaicin is also effective against joint pain and arthritis. But aside from this, capsaicin has potent anti-inflammatory properties that help alleviate pain.
- Promoting longevity — A study involving more than half a million people showed that people who consume spicy foods like cayenne pepper can increase their lifespan by 14 percent. This is possible because of the protective effects that cayenne peppers have against various health problems.
- Supporting weight loss — Eating cayenne peppers during breakfast can reduce your appetite for the day. This helps reduce your calorie consumption, which consequently promotes weight loss. In addition to this, cayenne can boost metabolism and help burn off excess fat.
- Enhancing heart health — Cayenne pepper is known for its ability to improve blood circulation. It is also effective against irregular heartbeat and palpitations. One study even showed that cayenne pepper can stop a heart attack in just 30 seconds.
- Inhibiting the growth of cancer cells — The capsaicin in cayenne interferes with the different pathways involved in cancer cell growth. It has been observed to work against prostate, pancreatic, and skin cancer.